Tuesday 23 November 2010

Zermatt

It was a really lucky day. After standing for a while in that position surrounded by the enormity of the white saint like peaks and looking down at the eternal river of ice, I felt so small and so thankfull. I wanted to shout out loud "Thank you..."Thank you for everything....
Then we came down from the view point and started for what is called the Glacier Palace.It is like a cave inside the glacier's cold belly where there are sculptures made of ice.The tunnel that takes you inside this world of chilling wonders is 15 meters below the surface of the glacier. Just the stats can give a person enough chill!! There are hidden lights inside the ice and also music...And the ice sculptures are seen in a  mystical blue light that makes the whole place ethereal...as if we are inside a fairytale...

After coming out of the Glacier palace, we started the downwards journey.The clouds had already hidden the Matterhorn's famous 'horn".After coming down we started walking back through the city,but this time we were really slow as one should be while walking in Zermatt.Strolling past the old wooden houses, and the street side souveneir shops we reached the center point of the town,the church square.
We sat down on a bench there watching people....The horse carriages were bringing tourists to the Grand Hotel just beside the church square.Shops were selling soft dogs and marmots(small animals found on the alps) and Swiss bells...hikers were coming down leaning on their sticks.Fresh hikers and skiers were walking up the village in confident strides....
But the clouds were coming down and it was growing dark in the morning...I smelt the fresh air and the moist flavour of the morning clouds of Zermatt made a permanent stamp in my memory at that moment...
I can still see myself sitting there in front of the church talking about this lady's dress and that man's boots and suddenly there was no more noise as if the mute button was pressed...I could hear nothing but the little drops of rain on the clean pavements and on the flowers beside our bench...we felt so complete sitting beside each other....But at that moment I had fallen in a fresh new love...I was in love with Zermatt....
This love compelled me to go back to Zermatt again and again.Later I went to the other peaks and I also took my parents and in-laws there.But later I thought that taking your loved ones to places you love is very streneous.You always have to hold your breath waiting for their comments and hoping for their approval.
Exploring newer places together is a better idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Intelligent Opinions from Readers