Friday 29 October 2010

The adventure in Ticino

It was a long journey of  almost 6 hours.So we started early.Long journeys in Switzerland,however,seem shorter than they actually are.The journey itself was so beautiful that we seldom thought of reaching the destination.The beautiful swiss cities,the meadows,the mountains,the little villages with the small churches,the sudden blinding darkness of the tunnels and the change of scenary after that...the panorama keeps your mind so occupied that suddenly you realize that you are there.
The Lugano station seemed to be on a little hill and there was actually a Funiculaire to take us down to the heart of the town.
The town itself was different from any Swiss cities we have visited so far.It had a mediterranean flair,narrow pebbled  and sometimes staircased streets.You have to take these small stairs to reach one lane from another.The shopping street was covered and there was a romantic Italian flavour in everything.Yet it maintained the Swiss standards of clealiness and well groomed beauty.
The lakeside promenades were lined with sub tropical plants,and beautiful flowers.
 We took a cruise on the lake Lugano.
In Ticino,they call the "lake", "lago",Italian being the main language spoken there.
The day was sunny and the lake was sparkling.It was a pretty large steamer and we seated ourselves on the upper deck.We could see the Monte San Salvatore just moments after the steamer started moving...I dont remember the names of all the islands we saw,but some of them seemed unreal...just made for us...
I seem to remember naming one"Lover's Paradise" or was it it's real name?I am confused.
We got down on a place called Morcote.The town (or village) seemed to be peeping out from a steep wooded hill...And what you will notice first is the Santa maria del Sasso Church.But to reach that church you have to climb up a few hundred stairs.but the view from there is really worth it.There are some 16th century frescoes inside the church.But what I remember most is the little town with its quaint narrow streets, arcaded restaurants, pretty boutiques and paved alleyways.
The place was so romantic,so tranquill,I thought what if I suddenly got a chance to live here for the rest of my life?
Oh no! that was the other side of the river and you never know until you get there!!
I dont remember what I thought on that day.Perhaps I died to stay.But what I wrote now is what I think today if I had to answer that question.
True I have grown old.
True I would not take the risks I took on that journey again.
I am so much more responsible now!!Ok...more on that later....
After we came back we had a Doner kebab and went to the hotel to stay the night.
Next day we were going to the Three lake Paradise of val Piora...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Intelligent Opinions from Readers